Sunday, January 20, 2008

The making of Crunchy Falafel

Falafel must be the tastiest fritters ever created. Everybody loves fried food if we were not told by doom sayers that they are not good for you. It is not the fried food that is not good for you and in my case it is not the fried yummy crunchy Falafel is not good for you, it is the oil!

Almost all commercial cooking oil has been treated with caustic soda to remove impurities and this is the killer. So find your good cooking oil and give your food a good crunch!

Have been making falafel from scratch daily for almost two year. I want to start a cafe and have falafel sandwich as my signature dish. Done lots of research and always get the comment that the premix is yuks! A friend of mine who flew to Perth Australia got so excited when she went to a Lebanese grocery store and saw falafel premix. She bought me a kilo. Bless her.

By then I have spend a year testing out making my own premix. So when she brought me the store bought ones I fried hers and mine for lunch with her family without telling which is mine.

The texture came out very different and of course the recipe and taste was different. The kids and gang crunched away the entire plate of my falafel goo gooing and ahh ahhing. The store bought ones were chewy and not crunchy. Falafel is always meant to be crunchy so how on earth did that product get in the store?

Hmm nice. That could be another biz that I can get into. Right now my focus is making my cafe come through. Still have lots of work to do. Can't just sell falafel and nothing else. I have to work out an entire menu but featuring falafel. And most importantly I want to create a lifestyle cafe based on falafel sandwich. Not a cheap eat joint. I think we have been doing disservice to falafel for a very long time. It is time to change that perception.

So now there is the concept to do. The menu to plan. The biz plan to. The money to raise. You will be so surprise to have the amount of people telling you what else you can do. So they send me on a round the world trip of going from one concept to another.

Learning to be an entrepreneur is a journey. I have a goal. That is to build a world wide franchise of lifestyle cafe where sensual food is served fresh. Yes it will be healthy eating that we share but that is not what we sell. We all enjoy food. We don't want to be constantly be bombarded with nutritional facts! I want a place where you can enjoy your food sensually without having to think about the content. That is our job.

Your is just have a good time and a wonderful meal without being bogged down with heavy food.

To all my Namale family I like to say a big Hi. After our wonderful stay together I know we are out there living our dreams. This blog is one way for us to keep in touch and to let you guys know what I am doing. Please leave your comments, ideas and most of all your encouragements.

1 comment:

KG said...

interesting idea. Pics look great